Position: Development and Communications Director
Organization: The Human Trafficking Legal Center
Location: Washington, D.C.
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: July 26, 2019
Anticipated Start Date: August 5, 2019
The Human Trafficking Legal Center (HT Legal) is seeking an experienced development and communications professional to lead the organization’s work in these areas. The successful candidate will oversee all aspects of the organization’s development program and communications. Reporting to the President, the Development and Communications Director will develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising strategy to secure a diversified portfolio of individual, foundation, and law firm donors.
The Development and Communications Director will work closely with the President, Board of Directors, and key partners to cultivate new donors and steward existing relationships. The Director will be responsible for developing and overseeing all special appeals, online communications campaigns, and special events, including an annual benefit in October. Working as part of the leadership team, the Development and Communications Director will develop annual fundraising and communications plans and will manage progress toward annual goals. The Director will cultivate potential donors, solicit gifts, and work with the Operations Manager to process donations. The Director will also oversee the organization’s social media and web communications. This position will be based out of HT Legal’s Washington, D.C. office. Some travel is required.
Bachelor’s degree required. Masters in Communications, Business, Nonprofit Management preferred.
- 3-5 years work experience in fundraising and development, preferably within a nonprofit setting;
- 3-5 years of communications experience, preferably within a nonprofit organization;
- Strong track record of fundraising through foundations, individuals, and events;
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills with attention to detail;
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Strong collaboration skills and commitment to working collaboratively with staff, board, and constituents including donors, supporters, survivors, and volunteers;
- Self-motivated, with strong leadership skills and ability to take initiative on new tasks without extensive direct supervision;
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills in English required;
- Positive attitude, self-confidence, and sense of humor;
- Knowledge of human trafficking issues highly desired;
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite;
- Proficiency in MailChimp and NEON CRM preferred;
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator preferred.
- Develop and implement annual strategic communications and fundraising plans in alignment with organization’s strategic plan;
- Research, identify, approach, and secure funding from individuals, law firms, and foundations;
- Steward current funders through frequent, personalized email and phone communications;
- Work with the President to draft funding proposals and reports;
- Track and ensure compliance with all donor reporting obligations and program commitments;
- Organize and execute special events as well as the organization’s annual On My Side Awards benefit in October;
- Work with the Board of Directors and Associate Board to schedule and plan fundraising and awareness-raising events;
- Write and execute annual email and paper fundraising appeals;
- Create daily content for HT Legal Facebook and Twitter accounts;
- Update and maintain website;
- Update and maintain donor information in NEON CRM database;
- Research and stay abreast of fundraising trends within the nonprofit community;
- Support the President in additional tasks as needed.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Regular hours are 9:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday. Annual salary and benefits: compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include three weeks paid vacation time, three days sick leave, retirement plan, and health insurance plan.
The Human Trafficking Legal Center empowers trafficked women, men, and children to seek justice. HT Legal leads national efforts to hold human traffickers accountable for their crimes and to raise awareness of victims’ rights. By linking trafficking victims with highly-skilled pro bono attorneys, HT Legal works to obtain criminal convictions, criminal restitution, and civil judgments against traffickers. With pro bono legal assistance, trafficking survivors can rebuild their lives.
The Human Trafficking Legal Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, citizenship, age, religion, disability, status, genetic information, military status, or any other classification as provided by law.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. Authorization to work in the United States is required.
Applicants should submit a brief cover letter (including how you heard of this opening), resume, writing sample, and contact details for two references to email@example.com with subject line “Development and Communications Director.” Please no calls.